Day 1:
We've been introduced to all other facilitators of the camps and had a briefing on what we gonna do in the first day of camp. We (Josephine, Ryan, Michael and I) went to the Bridge at 7pm sharp, it took us quite some time as the office is in the lobby of a condominium in Damansara. By 11pm, we depart from the office and went to the campside to prepare our stuff. Reach there around 12.30am and start preparing the stuff for the next day and arranging the hall. So, I've got to explore the area around the camp that day. I was so worried and excited about the kids next day as it was my first time being the faci of the camp and to lead so much kids at once. I'm worried about their safety alot as they all are rich people's kids. "what if i lost them?" was all in my mind in day 1. (LOL, now thinking back, I wonder how on earth I can worry about this. so idiotic, because kids are very safe in the compound HAHAHA)
Day 2:
At 7.30am we gathered to have a last preparation on the hall and the equipment. Had our breakfast before the kids come, in the activity hall. As the kids reach the camp, we heard all their excited sound shouting and laughing, even from the activity hall. So after all is settled and Neal's instructed us to get to our group, this is when I met my girls. At the beginning, it was very awkward, as I have to let them know each other and break the ice between them. FYI, I'm always weak at leading a team. So, its been really so damn awkward that I've just asked them to remember everyone's name. TERRIBLE. It's a challenge though, for me to memorize all their names in a short time as most of them are malays (I don't know about you, but I often caught myself can't remember malay's name well as I think all those names are similar, LOL, sorry. Just saying.) So, after asking for a few times, I finally get to remember all their names. Anis, Inayah, Ruby, Bianca, Kimmie, Venaleka, Zoe, Affifah, Maira, Amirah and Phyllis. So, let's proceed to the game part. The first game we played with them is the Game Galore, which consists of station games all around the campside. The kids have to run around the camp, to look for the game station and complete the games within a time limit. I guess, the games were too tough for my girls as they are only 8-9 years old. I think some of the games can even be played with people like my age. == So, next, the kids get to play Watch My Back. It was a really exciting and fun game, as everyone gets to play in the field with WATERGUN. I guess, I could share this game to my club for them to used on next trip. Teehee =) It was a strategy games (something like football, i guess) where each team have to guard their flag to avoid the competitor to take it. While safeguarding the flag, they also have to save themselves and the teammate, as the competitor will shoot your back with a watergun. Those member whose was shot my the opponent by more than 3 times, will be out in the games. Fun, huh? So, along with some small games in the hall and the journalling part, that ends my day with a tired smile. From 7.30am til 2am work, work like a boss!
Day 3:
All of the faci woke up at 6am+. We gathered at 7am to wake the kids and ask them to prepare for the activities later on. The first activities comes in that day was the team run, where all kids were required to run in team around the camp for few rounds. Din, one of the faci lead all the kids to run. While me, to skip th responsibility to run with the team, I volunteered to "jaga" at a specific place with a slope. HAHA. So next game of the day was the Lego Game, where kids have to memorize all the position and color of the lego blocks built by one of the faci. At night, after dinner, Neal gave so much hope to the kids by telling them there's a campfire that night along with story telling session, where all kids have 3 hours to practice on their show to be presented to all of us and the judges. My team chose to sing and dance the song by Taylor Swift, I Knew You Were Trouble. Guess in the future, whenever I listen to this song, it will remind me of them, my kids. =) It's been a rough day for them, as they spent some time arguing with each other what song to sing and how is the dance steps and stuff like that. What worries me the most is the Ruby told me before dinner that she doesn't wants to participate in the presentation as she's afraid to dance or sing in front of everyone. But after dinner, she approached me and told me she's finally decided to sing with the team. Guess the team members sort it out during the team practice. =) When the time of performance come, I can see nervousness in their eyes, they were nervous that time, and yet excited. When they got up to the stage to perform what they've practice, I've got so damn proud of them, that I even shed a tears when they done their performance. It felt like looking at my own children dance and sing in front of the crowd where I'm really proud of them, my kids. So, with this, I end my day with tears and joy in my mind.
Day 4:
It was the last day of the camp. I can see that the kids were all hoping to stay for one more days in the camp as they will miss us faci when they back to their hectic life with full of tuition and classes, I saw these messages left by the kids in the message box that make my heart melts. So, last day, woke up at 6am+ as well and had a team run in the morning like we did in previous day. Then we also arranged a Trust Walk game for the kids, to let them understand the meaning of trust, where two kids are paired up in a team and one of them is blindfolded. The other kid without the blindfold have to lead the one with blindfold up and down the camp, without fully touching their partner and with no sound. so they can either tap or clap to let the other kid knows the directions. We, the faci even build several obstacle for them to climb through to increase the level of difficulties of the game. It was fun though. After that, kids went shower and breakfast. Oops, do I mention that during that 3 days camp, I'm having all meals with the kids in my team in a same table? We had our breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper together, where all of them were chatting with me, about their families and stuff. It was really fun! Next, the kids get to practice and present on stage in the Amazing Symphony game, where even kids without musical knowledge gets to play music with it. The Boom Whacker is a really special toy for kids where it can only be purchase in the US, not Malaysia, and most importantly, it is fun! Once again, seeing my kids on stage and performed, makes me felt like crying. I'm just so proud of them. After putting up everything along with some small games with Neal, kids were preparing to check out and go home. Then, Maira and Inayah came to me and asked me whether they can stay one more day with me or not, because the camp was so fun and cool that they don't wanna go home this fast. That moment, I was like, OMG, I'm going to explode!! Because Maira, with those super innocent look, is always being one of the quiet girls in my team. I've always worried about her, that she doesn't like the camp or even me! Turns out that she doesn't think that way, and even love the camp, and probably me! When their teacher came to asked them to prepare to go back, Inayah came hugging me and said: "Teacher Joann, I'll miss you. Thank you! I love you, can you sign for me in this book?" After forcing all my tears down my throat, I looked at her and tell her that I'll miss her too and signed for her. After that, all the kids in my team came hugged me and ask for my phone number. Awww, i'm so gonna miss them, so damn much! So, after they went back and we packed up and clean the place, we reach the Bridge at around 7pm. And I reach home around 9pm. Finally got to see my family and talk to my dear after all these days, I havent touch my phone for like 4 days full (stupid digi yellow guy, didn't follow me to the camp for that 4 days!).
So, that ended my memorable work trip in Sememyih with the kids. I hope I can meet them one day in my life! And they will still remember me. *crossed fingers* I miss them so much already. I have no pictures of the camp as I didn't bring my phone there. But after my friend send me the picture, I will upload it here, promise! =)
Sorry for the long grandma story! =) I just wanted to remind the future me that how much I enjoyed in life and work!
Since I don't have pic, so..
"ganti" with this cute picture I found in Google first.
P.S.: Spent like more than 1 hour to write this post.
Oops, time to study now!
Finals next week!
All the best!

No comments:
Post a Comment